Monday, March 9, 2009

The Joy of a Clean House

I don't have anything creative today to post because I have spent almost the entire day finally getting my house clean. There is just nothing like a clean house to get you energized and ready for a new day. So I guess today I am going to talk a bit about cleaning.

When I decided I was going to remove all chemicals from my life, one of the first things that had to change was the way I cleaned. We use so many different chemicals for cleaning that it is amazing. So I started researching and then I completely lucked out because a friend of mine introduced me to some Microfiber Cloths that she had bought from Sweden.

Microfiber is my friend. It is truly a revolution in cleaning that few people know about. I wish I could find the original site my friend sent me to because they had a clinical trial and their results were that cleaning surfaces with just Microfiber and water was more effective than cleaning with either Bleach or Ammonia. However, I can't seem to find the link so I am posting this article from CleanLink which is pretty good and informative about why Microfiber works. Find it the article here.

So I bought some Microfiber cloths and began to experiment with them. I found an empty spray bottle and filled it with water and started cleaning. Not only did it really get the surfaces really clean, it also cut my overall cleaning time in half because I didn't have to do nearly as much scrubbing, and I didn't have to dry afterward to remove any leftover water or lint.

Over time I got a nice looking spray bottle that I could keep right next to the dishwasing detergent on my sink, and I learned to put just a little bit of lemon or lavender oil in the water to keep it from molding, and for extra cleaning power as well as that amazing clean smell to the whole house. I also learned that you could wash the cloths in the washer with normal detergent but you shouldn't use bleach in the wash because it breaks down the Microfiber. You should also never use the Microfiber cloths with any kind of harsh ammonia or acid for the same reason. It has really been amazing. My house has been cleaner than ever before. Jim and I have been getting sick a lot less, and I don't have to deal with the horrible smells of the cleaners, or the worry that I will combine them in the wrong way and poison myself (ala McGuyver Epic Fail.)

I knew I had won the cleaning battle when my friend Kay came over for lunch and the first thing out of her mouth was "Oh, it smells so clean in here!"

Oh, I did get my Etsy store opened today and the digital collage sheet listed for sale. Wow, I'm kinda official now. Now I just have to get back from Egypt and start stocking up. I did find a printer for art prints, and so I think I am going to test out printing my digital poetry paintings and if they look good go ahead and list them. I don't really know if any of it will sell, but it is so cheap to list things and so easy to maintain that it is worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment