Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Inspiration Trip

OK. All I can say is Wow. Jerry's Art-O-Rama is just amazing. I walked in the door and almost started crying because it has the smell. The smell I remember from so many years at the Art Building at UT. That smell that is tangy with chemicals, sweet with linseed oil, and liberally seasoned with plaster and dust.

And inspiring? You never saw so many different colors and types of media. I even found tools for bookbinding and resin casting, which I never expected. If I still did art in the SCA, I would be in heaven because they have the real stuff for oil painting (rabbit skin glue gesso, linen canvases, hard wood panels, and make your own pigments kind of stuff.)

Well, I did really well on the looking for inspiration but not buying until I found the section for Sumi painting and these little pearlescent water color immediately jumped out at me and insisted that I take them home. And then, of course, they insisted that I paint with them immediately regardless of my plans for the afternoon.

And I am really frightened by the fact that this painting with the pearlescent paints was so much easier than the painting yesterday. I have painted so many masks in these colors that I may be doomed to live a life in metallics and pastels. NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo.

Well, regardless, now I have two paintings to make frames for, plus everything else that I was supposed to do and didn't. Ok I'm off to go do it.

4 comments:

  1. We went to Jerry's Art-o-Rama the other day for the supremely nerdy purpose of getting tiny little brushes for painting D&D minis. I was slightly overwhelmed when I first walked in, in that same way that I am overwhelmed whenever I go into a new craft store, even for crafts I'm very comfortable with, like knitting. But I do admit that it had the added overwhelmingness of being full of mysterious things like oil paints. I always have to resist the urge to run away before I get acclimatised, or I'll never end up actually *seeing* anything I look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you stuck it out. I met a lovely lady there in the framing department named Brittany, and we knew that we knew each other from somewhere but we couldn't figure out where. She was very entertained that I was just walking through the store Art Geeking Out. What are you painting your minis with?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jerry's. So much so that I won't go unless I absolutely have to becuase I never just buy what I need. I started collecting the liquitex ink which has beautiful colors. Jennie - check out the pearlessent rice paper there(it;s in the paper section). It's coated with ground sea shells and has a faint iridescence to it. Plus it comes in colors.

    I get some of my printmaking stuff from them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nancy, I will certainly look for those things next time I go back.

    ReplyDelete