Monday, February 2, 2009

Sun Bleaching Linens

So in using vintage linens I have run up against one problem. There are a few of the pieces that are just too stained for me to feel comfortable putting them on the table. So I did a little research on the web about linen care and decided to experiment with sun bleaching some of the worst stains.

So I took my linens and soaked them in the sink and then gently wrung out the excess water, and then I took a half meyer lemon and sprinkled a lot of salt on it and scrubbed at the stain until it was soaked with the lemon juice salt concentration. I left the treated linens outside on the grass on a medium sunny day for about 3 hours until they were dried through and then brought them in rinsed to get rid of the lemon juice and salt.

I was truly amazed by how well the stains came out. It was actually better than the results that I had washing them with chlorox bleach, and much easier on the linens. I love when you find that the ways our grandparents and great grandparents lived their lives works just as well as the ways we have now. Here is the same placemat as the very first picture and you can see that the stain is manageable now.


No comments:

Post a Comment