Tuesday, February 17, 2009

First Masks

Eureka! I finally got the first leather masks out of the molds yesterday and they are gorgeous. I was able to achieve much more interesting detail by pressing the leather into the negative mold than I was shaping by hand. Here is a picture of the end result with the patterns for the auroras which I have to shape by hand and add to the mask today. 

I also came up with a unifying theme for the show spirits. After looking at the forms all day yesterday as I was making them I realized that one reminded my of fire, and the other of a crustacean. I then realized I could go with an elemental theme and have fire, air, and water spirits. The earlier fancy mask I made could be used for the gods and goddesses. So I just have to come up with a design for the air spirits and I have my concept. I thought I would try to get these two finished today and then hopefully tomorrow just start cranking them out. I think my friend Gia may be coming over to help make them tomorrow which will be great if it works out.

OK so I'm off to greet the day and find more coffee.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jennifer,

    I just wanted to say I've been following your progress on the masks avidly, and they look amazing! I can't wait to see them for reals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a bunch. I think we may have a painting party at some point if you like to do crafty things you would be welcome to come hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love crafty things and crafting parties! Please do put me on the invite list.

    ReplyDelete