Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Memorization

Well, the mask progress was slow today. I did completely finish one and got two more close but nothing that would make a good picture. However, today I codified some of my methods for memorization of lines for theatre (Shakespearean theatre specifically,) so here they are.


Motion

Always move in some way when you are trying to memorize. Kinetic motion somehow causes the brain’s memory system to function better.  Strangely I find sewing great for memorizing because of the motion and the repeated pattern of sound from the machine.


Chunking

I can only learn about 8-10 lines at a time in a long speech, or about half a page of short line dialog. So when I am learning I take this much, learn it then move on to the next chunk. Then I go back and try to put the first two chunks together. When I get that right then I keep going and add another chunk to the end. About a page of 12 point type lines is the most I have been ever able to learn at one sitting.


Rule of 3’s

Education theory says that you have to do (or hear) something 3 times correctly in order to learn it. For me I start with the book and say the chunk of speech aloud from the book 3 times (by the third time I’m trying not to look at the book so much). Then I try to say it from memory 3 times checking myself from the book at the end. By the time I can say it right 3 times in a row, I usually have it.


Short vs Long Practice Sessions

Practicing mindfully for 15 minutes a dozen times a day is better than practicing for hours straight. This is perfect for single speeches. If you write your speeches out on cards, or have the play on your phone this is perfect for carrying around with you whenever you have a free moment.


Different types of Input

Using multiple types of learning helps to solidify things in your memory. If you can write or type your lines, as well as read them, as well as make a tape to listen to or read aloud, as well as read with onother person, you will learn it much better than if you only do one of these things


What Are You Saying?

You will never be able to remember a line well unless you know what it means. If you are having trouble take the line apart gramatically, and then make sure you know what every word in it means specifically (not just in a general sense). Looking up words is a great way to find images and connections that can help you remember the lines.


Following the Verse

With Shakespeare in particular, the rythym of the verse is very strong and if you flip just one word around, or replace a word with a different number of syllables you will loose the entire line.


If you are having difficulty with a line try slowing it down and really exagerating the rythym of the verse in your speaking (in practice not performance). Also if you just can’t get a line make sure you have correctly analyzed the stresses and verse pattern within it.


It also works very well to look for cool language tricks like Alliteration because Shakespeare uses them all the time and they can really help the line stick in your head once you recognise them.


Do Not Compromise

As a musician I have learned that if you make mistakes in practice you will make them in performance. It works better for me to slow everything way down until I can do it perfectly and be totally conciously engaged even if this means I can’t practice as long (because total attention is exhausting.)


As you begin to get off book, make sure that you go back to the book at least once a day because every day at least one error will try to creep in. If you do something wrong twice, you will learn it that way (whereas it takes 3-5 times to actually learn it right).


If you are working with another person to learn lines, insist that they correct you with every little thing. 

2 comments:

  1. Great post! You've hit most of the best tactics for memorizing lines as an actor. Don't forget that sleep is when memories are solidified, so make sure to have one study session just before bedtime. Memory encoding is also better on an empty stomach, so don't have a snack before studying. I have some other hints and tricks at http://www.MemorizeShakespeare.com (As you can guess, it's especially for actors of Shakespeare).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for your comment David. Your site looks really interesting and I will definitely use it as a resource in my next preparation process.

    ReplyDelete