Saturday, January 31, 2009

Taco Deli

Ok, I have to say I am a total TacoDeli fan. I tend to like restaurants with really fresh, healthy delicious food that are reasonably priced and not pretentious, and TacoDeli absolutely fits the bill. Above you see the Migas Royal, which is the Saturday special, along with a side of sauteed veggies. The sauteed vegetables are without a doubt the best I have ever had in my life. Fortunately the people are really nice and are willing to answer my questions about why their food is so good. They let me in on the secret of the veggies which I will now pass along.

TacoDeli Veggies
Ingredients:
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup yellow sweet onions chopped fine
1/4 cup chopped zucchini
1/4 cup chopped squash
1/4 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup chopped red pepper
1/2 cup chopped cabbage (getting a precut slaw mix is a lot easier than chopping up a whole cabbage)
1/4 cup chopped mushrooms (I use baby bella)
2 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tblsp cooking sherry (to taste)
salt and pepper

Directions:
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and saute until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add all the other vegetables and begin to saute. Add cooking sherry as needed for liquid and flavor. Saute until the vegetables are just tender but still have a bit of crunch, about 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if desired.

These vegetables have a subtle enough taste that they go with just about any dish. I try to use organic vegetables whenever possible because I find they have much more flavor than conventional vegetables. ¡OlĂ©!

2 comments:

  1. If you haven't tried their tortilla soup, I highly recommend it! I didn't see it on the menu the last time I was there, but they had it anyways, so ask! It is easily the best I've had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, but it takes a bit of time because they make it from scratch. That and the Queso are the next recipes I want to try and figure out.

    ReplyDelete