Monday, January 19, 2009

How to Keep Your Hands From Cracking


I have a terrible problem in winter in Austin with dry skin. My skin will get so dry that it cracks. I put on lotion every time I wash my hands but it just doesn't seem to be enough to keep up with the weather and total lack of humidity.

I finally found a solution through trial and error that really seems to work to keep my skin in good enough condition that it doesn't crack. Right befor I go to bed at night I use a really heavy hand cream. I really like the J.R. Watkins that you can get at Walgreens, Ulta, and I think HEB. It is all natural with a lot of shea butter in it, and does a great job on my skin. Then after a few minutes when the lotion has absorbed I rub a shine serum into my hands. This is actually product that is sold for hair and is mostly silicone derivatives. My favorite is Shikei shine serum from Whole Foods which has silk protein, but the Neutrogena shown here works pretty well. The shine serum locks the moisture into your hands and makes the skin soft and supple. This also works really well for softening callouses.

I usually do this in the morning as well, but you have to be careful not to pick up anything that you like in one piece for about 15-20 minutes until it fully absorbs into your skin, unless you want to destry

No comments:

Post a Comment