Monday, November 22, 2010

How did I loose a year of my life?

So I looked at the blog this morning to retrieve so recipes from last Thanksgiving, and realized that this year has gone by so fast that it is overwhelming and that I have a lot of catching up to do with my life.

I should probably start with the wrap up from my play, which was the single thing that took up most of this year, but I can't quite face jumping in to that yet because it is a really long story.

Perhaps I can just skim over some of the basics. The Baron's Men put on A Midsummer Night's Dream, directed by me, in the fall and it was more critically and financially successful than all of the plays that the group has done so far combined. It wore me down tremendously mentally and physically because of some of the interpersonal drama that happened as part of the production. It was definitely a learning experience, but even with all the success, I honestly don't know right now if it was worth it in the end.

I went straight from that into a Halloween show for Beth Burns that was a fantastic experience where I helped with costuming, set decoration and music, and had a really great time. This was in the middle of my busiest season with my mask business and so even though it was a blast there was a large amount of stress to try and keep up with my orders.

I then went straight into a week of making 30 masks and helping with a local event called Luminalia which was held by Austin Shakespeare. It was a crash course in how to fund raise as well as being the most masks I have ever made in one week.

Needless to say, I am not planning anything for the Holidays except relaxing and reclaiming my life. I am so looking forward to the quiet time, remembering my habits, rediscovering my interests, and just being.

As a part of trying to get myself out of the deep negativity that some of the interpersonal stuff in my play put me into I have been trying to look every day at what I am thankful for. I've been using my facebook status to do this, but I am collating them here as a way to "count my blessings". Some of them are pretty prosaic and sometimes silly, and yet when I look through them I realize how much I am truly blessed in my life, even in the little things.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful for her amazing husband who enjoys cleaning and organizing as much as she does.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful that she gets to do an awesome scene with Bridget Farias and that she got a dry run for her Monday audition.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful that the pile of stuff to put away has dwindled from the entire living room to about 1/8th and that she can walk in all the rooms of her house again. She is also very thankful to stop and put her feet up for a moment.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful to be back on her diet and that she has already lost two pounds of the stress weight. Only 18 more to go.
  • Jennifer Davis is both thankful and extremely excited to have gotten a callback. Happy dance.
  • Jennifer Davis Is thankful for people that listen and care.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful to be back working on her business full time. It is nice to have an undivided mind.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful to have a husband who supports her, loves her, and believes in her.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful for reality checks from real friends
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful that she gets to spend the day making beautiful things that make people happy.
  • Jennifer Davis is very thankful to the wise women of her Bible study who always give perspective.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful for little gestures of love that make a relationship of nearly twenty years feel fresh and new.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful to be 4 pounds down on her quest to loose the Midsummer stress weight.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful that she can laugh at the stupidity.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful for soft beds, warm husbands, and purring kittens.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful that the DVD for Love's Labors Lost from the Globe just came in and she gets to spend the afternoon listening to it while painting.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful for Promise Pizza. If you haven't had it yet, go now. Mmmmmmm.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful that the 30 masks for Luminalia are almost done. I think this is a record for me in one week. Of course I wouldn't have finished without the awesome and talented Katy Thompson.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful to have been a part of Austin Shakespeare's Luminalia . What a beautiful and fun event.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful for coffee with friends, the quiet satisfaction of a job well done, and exciting sides to practice.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful for paying off some of her debts. It is always a wonderful feeling.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful that La Madeleine has added slim and petite versions to almost everything on their menu.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful to have succeeded in the loathed task of dress shopping and to have something sleek to wear to the Austin Shakespeare's King Lear Showcase.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful for her hot coffee. It is darn cold out here.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful for Cat naps with real cats.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful for a good laugh and that sleep makes you feel better.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful for an entire day to clean house and do laundry.
  • Jennifer Davis Is thankful to be released. What a fun and exhausting day.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful for a nice dinner, a wonderful husband, and the chance to put her feet up.
  • Jennifer Davis is thankful for spending the holiday with a dozen good friends and for the excitement of getting to cook loads of delicious food.
Hope that the holidays bring you many good memories, good friendship, and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment