Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Making Roman Armor

Having finished my round of concerts that were eating up so much of my time, I am now getting to enjoy my days again. I have been puttering with many things. I'm continuing to improve my play proposal since it looks as though it will be at least a month before I find out if I get it. 

I am also starting some drawings from a friend of mine who is a science fiction and fantasy author. She wants to get some drawings of the characters from her new book for her website. I don't really know if I am a good enough artist to pull it off, but she has given me till the end of June to try. Here is the first in progress sketch. This is a character names Dorrin Verrakai
I am also starting the great costume push for the Baroque Opera at Amherst Early Music Festival. This year we are doing Dioclesian by Henry Purcell which has about every fantastic Purcell song in it. It is all Roman Costumes this year, which should be a lot of fun.

The first thing I am tasked with making are some Roman breastplates. I am going to try to make them using the same technique I have been using for the Leather Masks, where I cast a negative form and then mold the leather into it. Here are some pictures of the in progress clay sculpture. The first stage was just laying down the shapes and the second was refining them.


No comments:

Post a Comment