Tuesday, June 30, 2009

First Squash from the Garden



I grew my first squash! I have taken the two really sunny garden areas of the yard and decided to convert them to vegetable gardens because I found myself really frustrated trying to grow landscaping plants in the full on Texas sun. Even plants that advertise themselves as full sun seem to need a bit of a break from it here in Texas. However the vegetables seem to be doing really well. I have decided that I really like summer squash plants. The plants themselves are beautiful, with their big flat green leaves, and they seem to be very productive. Here are some little zucchinis still on the vine.


Today we are having an unusual summer rain, and so I turned off the AC and have all the doors open, enjoying the beautiful coolness. I cooked my fist squash up for lunch using this recipe.

Summer Squash with Lemon and Basil
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice 1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 large summer squash

For the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, mix together olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, fresh basil and salt. For the squash, slice into large rounds. Warm a 10-inch skillet (cast iron is best) until very hot. Place squash in pan and sear over high heat, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip onto other side and sear additional 2 to 3 minutes, until both sides are browned. Place squash on a large platter. Spoon vinaigrette over squash. Serve warm. (I added some fresh paneer cheese which I I added to the skillet once the squash was cooked and browned for about a minute)


The other summer highlight in my garden in the Pink Phlox that blooms in the front yard. It always dies back in the winter and puts forth new leaves in the spring. By summer I have a glorious display of pink frothy blossoms with the most amazing subtle honey scent that fills the whole front yard. I always get compliments on them from the neighbors.


No comments:

Post a Comment